Translation of newspaper article by Google Translate
Poles in New Zealand (2)
in Photojournalism / by / on 18 November 2011 /
Polish settlement in the South Island
Polish settlers who arrived in the years 1872-1883 on the South Island of New Zealand living in localities where they were offered a job. The vast majority of them come from rural areas or small towns and had no education. When offered the job ended, they were looking for another. Some of them, in search of employment, so carry over to other regions of New Zealand. Some who were employed, settled on the spot.
Polish settlers having a regular job or your own farm, which bought themselves after years of hard work, they were registered with the local administrations and where today you can find their names. In addition, they are available in the archives of the Polish Heritage Trust of Otago and Southland in Dunedin, Polish genealogical organization founded there a few years ago.
List of Polish settlers in Otago and Southland regions includes 148 names of people who were there melded local offices in the years 1880-1935. Most of our compatriots living in the four towns: Greytown, later Allanton 21 people, 17 of Dunedin, Gore – 17, Greytown – 21 and Waihola – 17 and Pine Hill and Milton. Together, these towns were recorded and checked in almost 80 Polish settlers.
The remainder of the resident small settlements and villages of that region: Akatora, Balfour, Chatton, Clinton, Glenledi, Hampden, Invercargill, Lumsden, Maitland, Mararoa, Pukerau, Taieri, Tisbury, Waikaka, Waipahi and many others.
People living in cities were usually employed for manual labor. Most of them worked as casual workers – more than 60 people. Villagers worked while at work – nearly 40 people. Seven were employed during this period on the other hand, 6 in mining, 4 worked as tailors, others were gardeners, butchers, foresters, watchmen, woodcutters, carpenters, and one was even a policeman – Valentine Perneski, registered in 1900 at Reed Street in the village Oamaru.
Only 4 persons identified in local archives occupied managerial positions or were owners of companies or businesses. And so Martin Klimecka was in the years 1912-1915 the owner of the Empire Hotel in Naesby; second Martin Klimecka residing at. 12 Queensberry in Dunedin in 1920 he was head of the quarry; Martin Klimecka third – in the years 1915-1916 he was the hotel manager and shop in Georgetown, and the latest Martin Klimecka – the hotel manager Normandy in the years 1920-1922.
It is interesting that on the list name Klimecka Martin appears as many as 13 times. Family Klimecka (also Klimkowski) came from the area Kwidzyń and many of their men bore the name Martin. Klimeck’owie Martins also included in the list as: farmers, workers, and one as a railway worker.