The descendants of Polish immigrants who came to Taranaki in the 1800s are being encouraged to celebrate their history.
In 1876 the Polish immigrants came to New Zealand on the ship Fritz Reuter, which landed in Wellington. Some 52 of them were trans-shipped in the SS Taupo to New Plymouth. They were housed in the Marsland Hill barracks, which was used as an immigration centre.
The Polish people first settled in Bell Block, but by 1877 most of the jobs were in Inglewood.